Wednesday 29 September 2010

Aaron Cook injects optimism into team GB Tae Kwon Do

Aaron Cook wins in the 80kg weight class at the British Open Tae Kwon Do Championships and ranks him number one in the world.


I do find it strange that competitors can lose so much composure following a point score though. It seems to me more like gamesmanship than martial art. They also seem to not follow up if they themselves are convinced of having scored a point, appealing to the judges often and crying and moaning. Oh dear. I think I'm getting old. Or at least am I old fashioned?


2 comments:

Sue C said...

I'm pretty sure sports tae kwon do bears little resemblance to traditional tae kwon do! From what I read about it it has lots of blocks and punches just like in karate but they don't even maintain a guard in the sports version - it really has been stripped to the bone!

jc said...

i like what you said about not following up after an uncalled point... dangerous outside of the sport....