Sunday 26 April 2009

An introduction to Japanese armour and swords

I spent the day in town looking for martial arts books and came away with an armful! I'll post a review when I've finished them but as a quick Sunday night post here are the references for two slim publications I picked up from the Royal Armouries.  At about 36 pages each they're not too detailed but they are really great introductions (as their names imply) and I found them incredibly well laid out and easy to digest. There's a great description and graphic of how the swords are made.

An introduction to Japanese swords

Both by Ian Bottomley available from the Royal Armouries website.





1 comment:

Ikigai said...

When it comes to Japanese armor, this kind of introduction can be perfect. There are so many details and intricacies within the different generations of armor...it can be a little much right off the bat!