Sunday 1 February 2009

Bread do(ugh)

I made some lovely bread this morning. It was the first time I've done it and it seems to have turned out ok. Maybe it could be a bit lighter and from what I've read it's all in the kneading. There's a knack to it!

As I was stood kneading the bread I felt lost in the mechanical process pushing the dough away from me with one hand and dragging it back into a ball then repeating on the other side. I knew I had to exercise the dough in a particular way and also had to take care with correct posture for my back and not locking my arms out. I did lock out a couple of times and thought about how silly I was for doing it as this is exactly the sort of thing I need to think of in training when I punch! It felt like a great connection between technique and an everday exercise: lost in the moment of kneading, correcting posture and knowing that I was making bread. That's all, nothing more! Just stood looking out over the garden on a cold winter day kneading dough. 

Moments like that are magic!



No comments: